The HLMI Approach
HLMI mission is to provide analytical services for the tank waste mission along with providing integrated and cost-effective support of Hanford Site contractors. HLMI approach to operating and maintaining the 222-S Laboratory to meet the following objectives:
- Operate the 222-Laboratory (a Hazard Category 3 nuclear facility) in a safe, compliant, effective and efficient manner.
- Maintain the facilities and equipment efficiently to provide increased reliability to meet mission needs.
- Complete all client and customer requests in a timely, responsive, and effective manner— meeting or exceeding all client analytical and quality requirements.
- Identify and implement efficiencies, streamlining, and operational improvement opportunities.
- Demonstrate readiness to support enhanced operations to meet the needs of Direct Feed Low-Activity Waste (DFLAW) and continued tank farm mission sample analysis requirements.
Our approach provides DOE with the capability, capacity, and reliability to effectively implement enhanced operations, reduce overall risk and cost, and maintain safety and compliance. For this, HLMI has identified innovations/efficiencies that improve reliability and capacity, reduce risk, and enhance safety of analytical and facility operations. These innovations include manipulators upgrades, replacement of the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), and shift optimization, among others.
In addition to historical Tank Farm operations support, HLMI will be prepared to fully support DFLAW operations with enhanced operations, including:
- Technically capable of supporting Tank Farms and the Waste Treatment and Immobilization Plant (WTP) needs
- Supporting tank waste pre-treatment and initial delivery to the Low-Activity Waste Vitrification facility
- Supporting full DFLAW operations with 24/7 operations